Compose, record and craft your music
The H4n transforms any environment into a home studio. Its ability to record up to four tracks simultaneously, along with powerful overdubbing and punch-in features, allows you to do high-quality recording—up to 24-bit/96kHz—wherever you go. Onboard effects such as compression, limiting, reverb, and guitar and bass amp modeling enable you to turn your musical creations into studio-quality recordings. Four-track recordings can easily be mixed down to stereo or mono, with independent control over each track's level and panning, and you can even convert your finished song to an MP3 file for emailing and posting to your favorite social networking site.
The Ins and Outs
The H4n provides dual inputs, both of which are combo connectors that can accept either XLR or ¼” balanced or unbalanced phone cables. They can handle both mic- and line-level signals as well as instrument-level signals from electric guitars or basses. Phantom Power of +24 or +48 volts can be applied to both inputs.
In addition, there's a secondary input for connecting an external mic- or line-level signal via a stereo ⅛” Mic/Line In mini phone jack, including condenser microphones requiring 2.5 volts of Plug-In Power.
The H4n Line/Phone Out is a stereo ⅛” phone jack with dedicated volume control. Headphones can be connected to this jack for private monitoring of the input or recorded signal. There's also a built-in speaker on the back panel for fast monophonic monitoring of the recorded signal without the need to make any connections.
The H4n USB port provides a digital output of the stereo mix and allows data to be sent to and from computer editing software such as the supplied Cubase LE. USB also allows the H4n to be used as a 2-in/2-out audio interface and enables the installation of software updates from the Zoom website.
Features at a glance
- Four-track simultaneous recording
- Built-in X/Y stereo mic, adjustable between 90˚ and 120˚
- Onboard MS decoding
- Dual mic/line/instrument level inputs with XLR/TRS combo connectors
- Stereo ⅛” Mic/Line In mini phone jack
- +24 or +48V phantom power for main inputs and Plug-in power (2.5V) via Mic/Line In mini phone jack
- Output/headphone jack with dedicated volume control
- Built-in reference speaker for fast monitoring
- Large 1.9 inch backlit LCD display
- Records directly to SD and SDHC cards up to 32GB
- Supports up to 24-bit/96kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Auto-record and Pre-record features
- Internal mixdown: four-track to stereo and stereo to dual mono
- Up to 99 marks per recording
- Flexible overdubbing and punch-in/out
- Built-in effects, including compression/limiting, low-cut filtering, modulation, reverb/delay and amp models
- Normalize (maximum gain) and Divide (file splitting) functions
- Chromatic tuner and metronome
- Loop playback with user-defined start and stop points
- Variable playback speed, from 50% to 150%, without affecting pitch
- Variable pitch without affecting playback speed
- USB port for data exchange to and from computer
- 2-in/2-out USB audio interface for PC/Mac computers
- SD card reader function
- Mounts to mic stand or tripod, or directly to DSLR with optional Hot Shoe adapter
- Runs on only 2 standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries
- Over 6 hours of operation with 2 AA alkaline batteries (over 11 hours in Stamina mode)
- AC adapter included